As students grow and mature, embracing technology and all of its benefits is key to staying current and well informed. At Beyond the Classroom, we are always looking for ways to improve a student’s organizational skills, increase their attainment and make learning a positive experience!
Educational apps are a great way to incorporate technology into a high school student’s life while providing engaging, motivational and practical learning experiences!
We recently polled our high school tutors, asking which educational apps (online, for tablets and mobile phones) they found to be the most helpful and resourceful when it came to supplementing topics from school. Check out these top 10 senior/intermediate educational apps!
BEST APPS FOR SENIOR/INTERMEDIATE STUDENTS:
- NASA – A free app for smart phones, tablets and digital media players, the NASA app showcases a huge collection of the latest NASA content, including images, videos on-demand, NASA Television, mission information, news & feature stories, latest tweets, ISS sighting opportunities, satellite tracking and much more! Perfect for the budding astronomer in your house
- Mathletics – Mathletics is purpose-built to provide students with the study tools and math resources they need to progress through their provincial math curricula, allowing them to take greater control of their own learning (subscription fee required)
- Duolingo – This app is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Best part, it is totally FREE!
- Khan Academy – An in-depth and FREE resource website for parents with loads of worksheets and math activities. Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom including math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics and more
- Math Drills – Available for a small fee in the iTunes store, this graphically rich and fun environment allows students to learn basic math skills in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- InClass – This free planner app is perfect for multi-tasking teens trying to navigate high school life. It allows students to track their courses, manage homework deadlines and organize notes, etc.
- The Chemical Touch – This app features an interactive periodic table of the elements, allowing senior science students the ability to get up close and personal with elements in chemistry class (small download fee required)
- Frog Dissection – Not a fan of dissecting? This app (for a fee in the iTunes store) enables student to slice open a frog in without the mess! Biology class is fun for some, but for others, it can be messy, upsetting and uncomfortable. This app removes the formaldehyde without removing the learning. You can still learn about the ins and outs of a frog’s anatomy, but without the amphibian juice. Vivid 3D imaging also lets you study detailed internal organs!
- Graphing Calculator – Calling all calculus fans! Graphing calculators are expensive, but it’s almost impossible to get your calculus homework done without one. Consider investing in this app instead and make graphing fun! Requires a minimal fee in the iTunes store
- Shakespeare – High school wouldn’t be complete without the plays of William Shakespeare. However, understanding the intricate passages of Othello and Romeo and Julietis no easy task.
This app will help ease your English class pains as it contains 41 Shakespearean plays and 154 sonnets to view on your iPhone or iPad. The app supports a glossary of common Shakespearean phrases and will provide detailed scene breakdowns of locations and characters in each act.
And the best part — it’s free!